Jerry Rios owned and managed a private statewide litigation defense practice in Texas for three decades, bringing with him over 30 years of trial and litigation experience when he joined Lightfoot, Franklin & White in 2016. He was admitted to the Texas State Bar in 1986 and immediately began to litigate and try cases throughout Texas, which allowed for the development of unique experience in the state’s venues. Jerry manages Lightfoot’s Houston office.
Jerry is a seasoned litigator who has led and served on litigation trial teams for national companies in complex litigation matters in Texas state and federal courts. Jerry works toward the elimination of needless costs and expenses associated with the litigation process while attempting to obtain the best possible result for his clients.
Jerry’s practice areas include catastrophic personal injury actions, product liability, trucking and transportation, premises liability, security liability and consumer fraud claims.
Jerry is also heavily involved in alternative dispute resolution, representing national clients in mediations and arbitrations as well as serving the Texas legal community as both a mediator and arbitrator. As a credentialed mediator through the Texas Mediator Credentialing Association, Jerry is known for his integrity, ethics and hard work in assisting parties to reach a fair and unbiased resolution.
Jerry is a Martindale-Hubbell AV-Preeminent rated lawyer, which indicates the highest professional excellence and level of skill and integrity as judged by his peer members of the Bar and members of the judiciary. Jerry has previously served on the State Bar of Texas Grievance Committee for Attorney Discipline (Houston Division) and the State Bar of Texas Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee (Houston Division) and as a Professor for the National Insurance Crime Bureau.
Professional Associations, Affiliations & Experience
- Admitted to the State Bar of Texas, 1986
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Federal District Courts for the Southern, Northern, Eastern, & Western Districts of Texas
- Admitted to practice before U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Texas Mediator Credentialing Association — Credentialed
- Martindale Hubbell — AV Preeminent Rating since 2000
- State Bar of Texas, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- Basic Mediation Certificate
- Advanced Mediation Certificate: Family/Divorce/Custody
- Arbitration Certificate
- Texas Association of Mediators
- Association for Conflict Resolution (Houston Chapter)
- Transportation Insurance Defense Association (TIDA)
A native Texan, Jerry resides with his family in Houston, Texas. Outside the practice of law, Jerry is an avid hunter, golfer, enjoys fishing and sports of most every kind.
NEWS about Jerry
Presentations & Publications
- "Dealing with Difficult Adversaries," Legal Counsel Conference, Birmingham, 2016
- "Effective Expert Cross Examination," Legal Counsel Conference, Atlanta, 2015
- "How to Conduct a Thorough Products Investigation," Legal Counsel Conference, Phoenix, 2014