Wynn Shuford’s practice involves toxic tort cases, complex commercial cases, class actions and other mass tort litigation throughout the Southeast. He is admitted to practice in Alabama, Mississippi, West Virginia, Tennessee, Florida and the United States Virgin Islands, and he has handled cases in all of those jurisdictions.
Wynn currently serving as Managing Partner of Lightfoot and is fortunate enough to have been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation and in Mid-South Super Lawyers for Mass Torts/Class Action Litigation.
- Obtained a successful result in an arbitration proceeding brought by a former officer, director and general counsel of a large soft drink bottling company based in Birmingham in which the claimant sought over $80 million in damages against the company. After a two-week long arbitration, the arbitrator not only ruled in our client’s favor as to all of the claims brought by the claimant, but also awarded our client over $9 million as to its counterclaims
- Obtained a successful award in an arbitration proceeding on behalf of three timberland investment companies against a major pension fund in the amount of $12.6 million.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a major life insurance company in its first ever jury trial involving allegations of fraud and breach of contract relating to the sale of a universal life insurance policy
- Representation of a major chemical manufacturer in litigation involving over 1,600 plaintiffs in Alabama and West Virginia claiming injury from isocyanate exposure
- Representation of life and disability insurance companies in hundreds of fraud and bad faith cases filed throughout the Southeastern United States
- Representation of a major chemical manufacturer in litigation involving over 300 plaintiffs alleging exposure to formaldehyde from metalworking fluids
- Successfully defeated class certification on behalf of major automobile insurance company in nationwide class action arising out of the payment of claims for total loss claims
- Successfully defeated class certification on behalf of major automobile insurance company in class action seeking benefits from diminution in value from automobile repairs
- Obtained dismissal of class allegations against major automobile insurer arising out of the payment of uninsured motorist claims
While Wynn has enjoyed his share of success in the courtroom, he believes the greatest honor he has experienced as an attorney is having a client call him to handle an extremely difficult and seemingly unsolvable predicament. When that kind of trust is placed in him, Wynn takes it seriously, and considers it his responsibility to make his client’s problems his own.
There is an African proverb that says: “Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors.” Wynn has built his practice on this principle and has helped clients navigate some serious storms. He cannot promise to make every problem go away, but Wynn can promise that he wil give 110% to find the best solution, even when the odds seem to be insurmountable.
Presentations & Publications
Wynn has taught continuing education courses for various organizations, including the Product Liability Advisory Council, the Trial Academy of the Alabama Defense Lawyers’ Association and the Network of Trial Law Firms, as well as a law school class at the University of Alabama Law School. Several of Wynn’s presentations are available for viewing on the Network’s website.
Wynn received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Mississippi where he graduated summa cum laude and was named a Harry S. Truman Scholar (and where he also served a stint as a motivated, but under-talented member of the Ole Miss football team). While at Vanderbilt University Law School, Wynn was a John W. Wade Scholar, served as Associate Editor of the Vanderbilt Law Review, and was elected to the Order of the Coif.
Away from work, Wynn enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters. One of their passions is ministering to orphans in the Horn of Africa, and they have founded a charitable organization, Huruma International Ministries, to serve that purpose. Wynn is currently learning to speak Swahili, which has proven to be as big of a challenge as anything in the practice of law.
NEWS about Wynn
- Lightfoot Adds Former Assistant U.S. Attorney Brandon K. Essig to White Collar Practice
- Lightfoot Expands to Texas with the Opening of its Houston Office
- 35 Lightfoot Attorneys Named 2016 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 18 Lawyers from Lightfoot listed in the “Best Lawyers in America” 2017
- Lightfoot Obtains Successful Arbitration Award