Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices
News from this practice
- Harlan Prater Quoted in ABA Journal Article, “Generic Drugs Leave a Bad Taste for Patients Filing Tort Suits”
- Alabama Supreme Court Reverses $78.4 Million Verdict against Sandoz
- Lee Hollis, Jim Hughey named to the 2011 MedMarc Honor Roll
- Jim Hughey is MedMarc's June 2011 “Ask an Expert”
- Drug and Device Law Blog Proclaims Lightfoot Victory Most Significant of 2009
- Alabama Court Rejects Verdicts in Drug Price Cases
- Defense Verdict for Pharmacia Corp., et al
- 11th Circuit Affirms Summary Judgment
- Defense Verdict for Pharmacia Corporation
The successful defense of pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers requires a deep knowledge of FDA laws and regulations and product-liability law, but it also demands that a lawyer be well-versed in such complicated disciplines as pharmacology, toxicology, epidemiology, medicine, and biomedical engineering. The learning curve can be steep in these cases, and it pays to have lawyers with experience. For years, the lawyers of Lightfoot have worked hand in hand with leading manufacturers and top experts to develop innovative approaches to defending and trying high-stakes pharmaceutical and medical device cases. Our lawyers have represented manufacturers in both individual and large, multi-plaintiff litigation involving:
- Prescription pain medications
- Anti-coagulant and anti-platelet medications
- Hyperactivity disorder medications
- Diet drugs
- Over-the-counter medications
- Blood products
- Knee and hip prostheses
- Latex gloves
- Breast implants
- Intravenous pumps
- Heart monitors
- Infant monitors
- Contrast agents
Our expertise includes the management of mass tort cases, and we have the resources to adequately staff and provide the latest technology required to defend such matters. For example, Lightfoot lawyers have:
- Represented leading pharmaceutical manufacturers in hundreds of substantial pieces of litigation involving phen/fen diet drugs, OxyContin, phenylpropanolamine (PPA) and other medications.
- Represented a major breast-implant manufacturer, which resulted in the successful defense or resolution of over 1,000 individual cases.
- Defended manufacturers of intravenous pumps, cardiac monitoring systems, respirators, contrast agents, baby monitors and other medical devices in dozens of injury and death cases.
- Served as trial and appellate counsel for two major pharmaceutical manufacturers in cases brought by the State of Alabama alleging that the defendants had artificially inflated published prices for prescription drugs provided to Medicaid patients and seeking hundreds of millions of dollars.