Brooke Garner Malcom
Brooke is a natural litigator whose approach to the practice of law is focused on practicality and integrity. It also helps that she has an innate competitive streak.
Brooke has successfully defended clients across a variety of industries in complex environmental, product liability and toxic tort matters. She has counseled clients in cases ranging from asbestos exposure claims to cases involving contamination from xylene and benzene. Her strategic approach includes early evaluation of liability and potential client exposure, and close work with client and in-house counsel. Brooke also regularly defends claims brought against banks, insurance companies, and other financial services providers. Some of Brooke's notable achievements include:
- Obtaining summary judgment following oral argument in a breach of contract case involving a life insurance policy;
- Representation of national financial service institutions in litigation related to mortgage-backed securities and consumer fraud claims;
- Successfully arguing a venue transfer motion in a multi-party breach of warranty and fraud case that allowed her client, an agricultural and construction equipment manufacturer, to litigate in a much more favorable venue;
- Defending an automobile manufacturer in numerous asbestos cases alleging that exposure to its product caused mesothelioma, including successfully winning cases on summary judgment; and
- Representing a digital television service provider in numerous breach of contract and fraud cases in Alabama.
Brooke graduated magna cum laude from the University of Georgia with a degree in Political Science, and she received her law degree, cum laude, from Cumberland School of Law at Samford University. At Cumberland, Brooke was a Copy Editor for the Cumberland Law Review, served as Associate Justice of the Henry Upson Sims Moot Court Board, and was a member of Cumberland’s National Moot Court Team. Brooke was awarded the Order of the Barristers for outstanding oral advocacy.
Brooke is married to a litigator, Brian, and spends most of her free time trying to keep up with her young son, Henry. She is a fan of college football and can be described as obsessive about Gilded Age mansions and musicals from the Golden Age of Hollywood.
- B.A., University of Georgia, 2005 magna cum laude
- J.D., Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, 2008 cum laude
- Alabama, 2008
Lightfoot, Franklin & White, LLC