J. Bradley Powell
Brad joined Lightfoot in 1996 during a time when Alabama was recognized as a "tort hell" and plaintiffs' lawyers from across the country flocked to the state to lay claim to their share of "jackpot justice". As a result, there was an abundance of high-level substantive work for a young lawyer to sink his teeth into, and Brad was thrown from frying pan to fire early and often. While Alabama's litigation climate is more business-friendly as of late, handling bad cases in Alabama's most challenging jurisdictions gave Brad experience and insight that traveled well in courtrooms across the country. Brad's practice has been focused on defending product manufacturers in the automotive, aviation and pharmaceutical industries, among others. His representative experience includes:
- serving as national trial and coordinating counsel for a Fortune 200 manufacturer in catastrophic injury and crashworthiness matters, including difficult venues in Alabama, Arizona, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Texas and West Virginia.
- regional representation of a national do-it-yourself moving company in trailer handling and stability matters.
- defense of a Fortune 10 manufacturer in multi-district litigation and numerous state court cases nationwide related to alleged product defects and compliance with FDA sales and marketing regulations.
- representation of a general aviation aircraft manufacturer in cases related to aircraft climb performance and FAA certification issues.
- defense of numerous domestic and foreign automobile manufacturers in crashworthiness, warranty and dealer matters.
- defense of consumer product manufacturers in property damage and personal injury cases, including workplace injuries, electrocutions, electrical fires and inhalation injuries.
Brad also has handled product-related class actions, sexual harassment and retaliatory discharge matters, industrial construction disputes and trade secret/non-compete litigation for his clients. He frequently advises companies on compliance with regulatory requirements and provides guidance during investigations conducted by government agencies.
For three years, from 2011-2013, Brad served as an Adjunct Professor of Civil Procedure at the University of Alabama School of Law. He is a member of the Defense Research Institute and Trial Attorneys of America (an organization of trial lawyers and corporate counsel who devote a substantial portion of their practice to product liability defense). Brad was recently recognized in the 2016 Alabama edition of The Best Lawyers in America for Product Liability Litigation-Defendants.
Outside the practice of law, Brad enjoys running, fishing and spending time with his wife and daughters.
- B.A. , Washington and Lee University, 1993
- J.D., Washington & Lee University School of Law, 1996 cum laude
- Alabama, 1996
Lightfoot, Franklin & White, LLC