Laura H. Peck
Laura's practice is devoted to civil litigation, including healthcare litigation, professional medical liability, pharmaceutical liability, labor and employment litigation, insurance litigation and appellate advocacy. She has tried over 25 civil cases before a jury and has successfully argued before the Alabama Supreme Court. Laura serves on Brookwood Medical Center’s Ethics Committee, and she frequently speaks to professional groups about litigation and employment issues.
"It has been a great privilege to work with the many doctors and nurses over the past 25 years. Being named as a defendant in a medical malpractice case can be extremely stressful. This stress is in large part a product of the care and concern that medical providers have for their patients, because they want nothing more than to help their patients. Unfortunately, the reality is that even the best doctors and nurses working diligently to provide excellent care will likely become involved in a malpractice suit at some point in their career. I view part of my job as helping to alleviate some of their stress as I guide them through the litigation process. In short, I hope to offer both emotional and legal support."
Recent career highlights include:
- Obtained a dismissal without trial of 25 medical malpractice cases in the past two years.
- Obtained summary judgment that was affirmed by the Alabama Supreme Court for a doctor in a defamation case.
- Obtained affirmance by the Alabama Supreme Court of judgment as a matter of law entered in favor of psychiatrist, who was accused of negligently causing the death of a patient who committed suicide following her discharge from the hospital.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a physician in a case involving complications following a surgical procedure.
- Obtained a complete dismissal of wrongful death claims against a physician in Federal Court based on a Daubert challenge.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a hospital in a medical negligence case.
Laura serves on the Board of Directors of Magic Moments, which is a non-profit organization that grants wishes to Alabama children with life threatening medical conditions.
- B.S., University of Kentucky, 1983
- J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 1986
- Alabama, 1986
Lightfoot, Franklin & White, LLC