In today's fast-paced business environment, corporations large and small are beset by costly litigation that threatens to drive down stock prices and even bankrupt companies. In such situations, having the most experienced lawyers is critical. Lightfoot's business litigation practice is the firm's largest practice area, and our lawyers regularly defend major fraud, antitrust, lender liability, contract disputes and corporate takeover litigation in federal and state courts throughout the country. We work hard to understand each client's business and the goals that client has for each particular lawsuit.
Our expertise includes the following:
- Contract actions
- Consumer-fraud class actions
- Claims under the Sherman and Clayton Acts
- Franchise litigation
- Director and officer claims
- Deceptive trade practice claims
- Financial services litigation
- Construction litigation
- Intellectual property litigation
- Professional malpractice litigation
- Emergency litigation and temporary restraining orders
- RICO claims
Adversaries appreciate our lawyers' courtroom expertise, and as a result are more willing to resolve cases on a reasonable basis. If appropriate resolution is not achievable, our clients have the great benefit of our lawyers' unmatched jury trial experience and courtroom capabilities. Cases handled by our lawyers include:
- Representation of a domestic automaker in a nationwide class action based on allegedly misleading window stickers. The plaintiffs' request for class certification was defeated at both the trial and appellate levels, and summary judgment was obtained on the plaintiffs' individual claims.
- Representation of a leading U.S.-based international insurance and financial services organization in a class action alleging concealment of insurance coverage during a previous fairness hearing approving a class-action settlement of securities litigation.
- Representation of an international accounting firm in a nationwide class action brought on behalf of a company's retirement plan participants. When the trial court granted class certification, an interlocutory appeal was taken, and the appeals court reversed and rendered judgment for our client.
- Representation of Chrysler in post-bankruptcy dealer arbitrations.
- Representation of a major power corporation in a dispute and resulting arbitration arising out of a joint venture for the construction and development of three gas-fired power plants in California during that state's energy crisis.
- Defense of a Top 50 U.S. bank in a breach of fiduciary duty claim against its trust department.
- Obtained summary judgment for an international technology products manufacturer in a lawsuit filed by former contract manufacturer seeking more than $10 million in damages, which was then affirmed on appeal.
- Representation of an international manufacturer of industrial grade lubricants in lawsuit brought by former distributor, resulting in favorable resolution for the client.
- Representation of domestic automakers in several motor vehicle franchise cases.
- Representation of several private companies in derivative claims accusing management of breach of fiduciary duties or minority shareholder oppression.
In addition to defending cases brought against our business clients, the firm regularly prosecutes cases on behalf of those clients against other businesses, often employing alternative fee arrangements to mitigate the out-of-pocket cost to our clients of protecting their rights. Through this work, the firm has recovered millions of dollars for our business clients. Please visit the Plaintiff's Litigation portion of our website for more details.
Lightfoot, Franklin & White, LLC