Lightfoot attorneys have extensive experience in the field of construction law and contracting. Our services and experience range from assisting in contract and subcontract negotiations and drafting to claims preparation and advice to the negotiation, mediation or arbitration of construction claims and disputes. Our experience includes trials, arbitrations, mediations, administrative proceedings and the whole host of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms.
We regularly represent owners, prime contractors and subcontractors providing advice and guidance, and, where necessary, prosecuting or defending of claims and disputes. Our experience and practice involve a wide variety of commercial and industrial projects, in various locations within the United States and also abroad. We have the capacity and experience to handle even the largest and most complex matters.
Recent matters handled by Lightfoot lawyers include:
- Representation of the major contractor responsible for construction of the paint shop in a new automotive manufacturing plant. We kept the contractor's subcontractor on site as we pursued arbitration against the overall prime contractor, and, after arbitration hearings the case settled for a sum that resolved both the subcontractor's claims as well as our client's claims.
- Representation of a national provider of infrastructure materials in a dispute with an EPC contractor related to expansion work performed at one of our client's chemical plants. The project was completed several months late and the EPC contractor alleged defective specifications, excessive changes and delays, impacts and inefficiencies. Following discovery and extensive analysis of the claim, we conducted a three-day mediation, during which the case settled for a fraction of the amount being sought by the EPC contractor.
- Arbitration of a claim on behalf of major subcontractor relating to piling and foundations work that it performed on a large commercial project in Mobile, Alabama. The claim involved delays and disruptions due to lack of site access and re-sequencing of our client's work. We obtained an award of 100% of the amount that we demanded plus interest and attorney's fees.
- Defense of the nation's largest transportation construction contractor in a case where landowners adjacent to a road widening and paving project claimed that our client's work caused storm-water runoff and resulted in flooding of their property.
- Defense of a major general contractor in an arbitration related to road and paving failures which the owner/developer blamed on our client. We were able to satisfy the arbitrators that the road and paving failures were attributable to poor and unsuitable subgrade installed by others and that our client was not responsible for the failures.
- Representation of a piling contractor in a delay, inefficiency and impact claim related to a steel mill project in the Carribean. The site was not made available to our client in a way that allowed access to the work site as represented in the bid documents and project schedule. Following a mediation, the claim settled for approximately 75% of the amount we requested on behalf of our client.
Lightfoot, Franklin & White, LLC