Matt Winne is a dedicated trial lawyer and advocate for his clients.
Matt takes pride in helping his clients efficiently navigate through even the most complex cases. He spends a significant amount of time defending clients facing product liability litigation, and has experience handling matters involving areas as varied as medical malpractice, First Amendment law and commercial plaintiff issues. Matt defends leading companies, including a prominent national wheelchair distributor and a major American automaker.
Clients appreciate Matt’s willingness to dig into the specifics of any case with his meticulous attention to detail. It’s that focus that makes Matt such a trusted ally for his clients in court and before arbitrators. Recent examples of his work include:
- Serving as defense counsel for a major automotive manufacturer in a wrongful death case alleging a defect in a vehicle related to a carbon monoxide event. After successfully arguing a number of pretrial motions to best posture the case for trial, Matt took the lead in selecting the jury and helped secure a dismissal of the claims mid-trial in the absence of evidence establishing a defect in the car.
- Securing a favorable settlement after the first week of trial on behalf of a client in a wrongful death product liability jury case. He obtained the settlement after arguing Daubert and other critical pretrial motions, as well as handling evidentiary objections and arguments at trial.
- Obtaining a favorable judgment in multiple arbitrations for a national consumer services provider, despite the claimant’s request for high-seven-figure damages awards. In doing so, he cross-examined expert, party and fact witnesses, and conducted direct examinations of all types of witnesses.
- Securing multiple early dismissals of wrongful death claims and other serious injury claims through motion drafting and oral advocacy on novel procedural law issues.
- Taking the lead in reaching favorable early resolutions of various catastrophic injury cases around the country on behalf of several product manufacturers and distributors.
Matt is generous with his time and legal talent and has worked on several pro bono matters helping inmates appeal their convictions. He graduated cum laude from the University of Alabama School of Law, where he was a senior editor of the Alabama Law Review and a member of the John A. Campbell Moot Court Board.
A native Atlantan, this Birmingham-based associate also enjoys spending time outdoors with his beautiful wife, Hannah, and his dog, Piper. On weekends, he can often be found hitting the links and cheering on his Auburn Tigers.