Lightfoot offers a full range of healthcare litigation services.
Lightfoot represents a broad array of healthcare clients, including physicians, hospitals, nursing homes and other providers. From malpractice and fraud claims to employment lawsuits, ERISA matters and regulatory issues, we have deep experience with virtually any type of litigation that affects this complex industry.
Our lawyers assist doctors in navigating investigations by various regulators, including federal and state agencies, and licensing matters before the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners. Lightfoot's experience includes representing clients facing scrutiny under the False Claims Act (FCA) for Medicare and Medicaid billing practices and related business arrangements. Another significant portion of our practice is devoted to defending doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers against medical malpractice lawsuits. We also represent hospitals and medical staff in litigation regarding medical privilege.
Healthcare is a highly regulated sector with many federal, state and local statutes that providers must follow, along with the standard laws that apply to all businesses. In addition to handling disputes and lawsuits, we also advise clients on risk management practices designed to avoid both regulatory scrutiny as well as criminal prosecution.
Lightfoot's work in the healthcare arena includes:
- Advising on compliance with regulations such as the FCA, HIPAA, EMTALA, Stark and the Anti-Kickback Statute
- Assisting with licensing issues
- Representing medical staff, executive committees and hospitals in disciplinary proceedings
- Preparing employee handbooks, policies and procedures
- Advising ethics committees on matters related to advance directives and end-of-life decisions
- Drafting and negotiating a variety of contracts for healthcare providers