Lightfoot Partner Jack Sharman Concludes Duties as Special Counsel to Alabama House Judiciary Committee on Bentley Impeachment Investigation
April 10, 2017
With the April 10 resignation of Robert Bentley, Lightfoot, Franklin & White LLC partner Jack Sharman has concluded his investigation duties as special counsel to the Alabama House Judiciary Committee related to its impeachment investigation of the former Alabama governor.
“It has been a distinct honor to serve the State of Alabama and its citizens in these historic proceedings,” said Sharman. “I am very grateful to the House Judiciary Committee and Chairman Mike Jones for this opportunity, and for the trust they placed in me and my Lightfoot colleagues to assist them with this grave and important matter.”
Appointed in July 2016, Sharman’s role was to advise the Committee on all legal and procedural issues related to the impeachment investigation of Gov. Bentley. He and the Lightfoot team prepared the resulting report, which was released on April 7 (see www.BentleyInvestigation.com). Sharman also made a televised presentation before the Judiciary Committee on April 10 at the start of the impeachment hearings. When Gov. Bentley’s legal team filed for an injunction blocking the release of the impeachment report, Sharman argued on the Committee’s behalf in several court proceedings.
Sharman’s work as special counsel has received significant media attention. Representative coverage includes:
- Al.com: Lawyers Hired for Both Sides in Bentley Impeachment Investigation
- WBRC: Jack Sharman: The Attorney at the Center of the Bentley Impeachment
- New York Times: In Alabama, a Slow-Burning Scandal Engulfs the Governor
- Wall Street Journal: Investigation’ Results Could Turn Up Heat on Alabama Governor
- Al.com: Alabama Gov. Bentley Impeachment Report Released
- Wall Street Journal: Alabama Governor Fights to Block Impeachment Proceedings
- “The Today Show: (NBC): Alabama Governor Facing Impeachment. Will He Resign?
- Wall Street Journal: Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley Resigns Amid Scandal Stemming From Alleged Affair
- USA Today: Robert Bentley Resigns as Alabama Governor
- Washington Post: ‘It’s not about sex, it’s about power’: Meet the lawyer who helped bring down Alabama’s ‘love gov’
To learn more about how Lightfoot lawyers have earned their stripes in high-profile government investigations, click here.