Sara is the real deal! In her 30+ years in practice, she has handled just about every kind of lawsuit you can think of – from shareholder derivative suits to medical device litigation, from disputes about insurance (life, title, commercial general liability) to claims based on federal statutes (RICO, TCPA, ERISA).
Sara was recently named Alabama Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in America for litigation relating to mergers and acquisitions. She loves the challenge of a business dispute. She understands business and knows that a business resolution is often the best outcome, but when a fight is needed, she is ready for it. Her last big win was a $13 million dollar settlement reached during trial for the buyer of a majority interest in a manufacturing business.
Sara has long defended companies in class and mass litigation. She handled her first class action more than 20 years ago, and there have been few times since then that she has not had one or more class suits on her plate. Unlike most attorneys, Sara has experience actually trying class action cases.
Community is important to Sara, both her professional community and her community in Birmingham. She is an adjunct professor of Class Actions and Litigation Strategy at the University of Alabama School of Law. She is active in the International Association of Defense Counsel, the DuPont Women’s Legal Network and DRI’s Women in the Law Committee. She is an involved member of the Rotary Club of Birmingham and St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
Sara has two grown sons of whom she is most proud. One is a first-year orthopedic surgery resident, and the other is beginning his investment career. She enjoys traveling with her husband and sons, reading, gardening and snow skiing.
NEWS about Sara
- Four Lightfoot, Franklin & White Partners Recognized as 2017 ‘Top Flight Attorneys’ by B-Metro Magazine
- Lightfoot Obtains Order Compelling Arbitration in Germany of Major International Dispute
- Thirty-five Lightfoot Attorneys Named 2016 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers
- Eighteen Lawyers from Lightfoot listed in the ‘Best Lawyers in America’ 2017 by Best Lawyers® by Woodward White, Inc.
- Lightfoot and Its Partners Recognized by Corporate Intl Magazine