Johnny Johnson is one of the Southeast’s most experienced and battle-tested major case lawyers. He has served as national and regional counsel in high stakes litigation and is ranked by Benchmark Litigation as one of the “100 Best Bet-The-Company Trial Lawyers” in the country.
Johnny is a founding partner of Lightfoot, Franklin & White. He handles business litigation and products liability litigation, and is also widely recognized as one of the most qualified and practiced lawyers in the South handling environmental and mass tort litigation. He advises clients on such matters as complex mass tort litigation, class actions, pesticide and chemical litigation and individual toxic tort claims in Alabama and throughout the Southeast.
Through his mass tort practice, Johnny became one of the pioneers in developing systems for the efficient management of complex litigation. He has lectured frequently on this subject. “Lawsuits as Manageable Projects: Systems for Controlling Costs in Litigation,” is an example of the system he helped develop for budgeting and tracking litigation costs.
Johnny is the author of The Pesticide Litigation Manual, first published by Clark, Boardman in 1991 and still in print today under the title, Defending Pesticides in Litigation. He is also the author of several law review articles. He speaks frequently at industry and legal seminars. Johnny is admitted in all Alabama Courts as well as the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized Johnny for his work in commercial and environmental litigation since 2006 and for bet-the-company litigation since 2010. Alabama Super Lawyers has recognized Johnny for environmental litigation since its inception. Johnny has been rated as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell since 1992.
Johnny is a Board Member and Past President of the Norma Livingston Ovarian Cancer Foundation, a nonprofit that raises funds to support ovarian cancer research and awareness of the risks, symptoms and treatments of the disease. He and his wife Jennifer have three children.
NEWS about John
- Lightfoot Attorneys Recognized by Benchmark Litigation
- 35 Lightfoot Attorneys Named 2016 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 18 Lawyers from Lightfoot listed in the “Best Lawyers in America” 2017
- GE-Supplier Alpha Source, Inc. Dismissed from Texas Antitrust Suit
- Nineteen Lightfoot Partners Recognized by 2016 Best Lawyers Publication
Presentations & Publications
- Lawsuits as Manageable Projects, Systems for Controlling Costs in Litigation
- The Pesticide Litigation Manual (now published as Defending Pesticides in Litigation) (West Publishing)
- Indemnity Actions in Alabama Products Liability Cases (Alabama Law Review)
- Frivolous Lawsuits and Defensive Responses for Them – What Relief is Available? (Alabama Law Review)
- Co-Employee Lawsuits Under the Alabama Workmen’s Compensation Acts (Cumberland Law Review)