When should we talk?
Let’s talk when they try to put you in prison and your business out of business.
I defend businesses and individuals in white-collar criminal cases, and I guide them through corporate internal investigations.
What do I work on every day? Corporate internal investigations, kickback cases, government-contract fraud, grand jury investigations, gaming issues, defense of criminal environmental offenses, public-corruption enforcement, due diligence issues under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Congressional investigations, election contests, defense of health-care entities in civil and criminal matters including Medicare fraud and qui tam lawsuits under the False Claims Act and investigations by military officials.
What else might be useful to know?
Out of law school, I was a judicial clerk to Judge David B. Sentelle, United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit. Then I practiced at Covington & Burling (also in Washington, D.C.) before I became Special Counsel to the House Banking Committee (now called the Financial Services Committee). As Special Counsel to the Committee for its Whitewater investigation, I oversaw a team whose work culminated in four days of nationally-televised hearings in August 1995. I was also Special Counsel in 2016 to the Judiciary Committee of the Alabama House of Representatives for the impeachment investigation of Governor Robert Bentley.
Sometimes, I teach: I’ve been an Adjunct Professor of Law at Washington & Lee University and the University of Alabama, and I have helped out with a course on Electronic Discovery at Cumberland School of Law.
Jack on White Collar
Professional & Community Activities
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
American Bar Association, White Collar Crime Committee of the Section on Criminal Justice
- Edward Bennett Williams American Inn of Court, former member (only Inn devoted solely to white collar crime)
- Birmingham American Inn of Court, Barrister
- Alabama State Board of Bar Examiners, former examiner
- Birmingham Bar Association, Grievance Committee, former chairman
- Washington & Lee University Alumni Association, former national president
- Mountain Brook Lacrosse Association, former president
- Cathedral Church of the Advent, former Vestry member
Seminars, Articles and Speeches
- “Corporate Internal Investigations,” Alabama Chapter, Association of Corporate Counsel (2016)
- “Investigations,” Legal Counsel Conference, Birmingham, Alabama (2016)
- “Civil Lessons from Criminal Trials,” Network of Trial Law Firms, Chicago (2012)
- “Cost versus Value: Beyond Budgets, Towards Trust,” Network of Trial Law Firms, New York, New York (August 7, 2009)
NEWS about Jack
- Jack Sharman Interviewed for Reuters Article about Attorney General Appointee Jeff Sessions and White-Collar Enforcement
- Lightfoot Partner Jack Sharman Moves Bentley Investigation Forward
- 18 Lawyers from Lightfoot listed in the “Best Lawyers in America” 2017
- Lightfoot Partner Jack Sharman Appointed Special Counsel in Bentley Impeachment Investigation
- Jack Sharman Moderates Securities-Enforcement Panel For Alabama State Bar White-Collar Crime Committee